It’s the most wonderful time of the year… but it can also be the most stressful. This holiday season, take the stress off by taking a few moments to organize, plan, and prepare, so that you can spend more time enjoying time with your loved ones this Christmas season. Here are 5 easy ways you can stay organized this Christmas.
1) Create Your Lists The most effective way to stay organized this holiday season is by creating separate lists for things like your holiday budget for friends, family, co-workers, etc., shopping list for gifts and groceries, recipe ideas, and mailing list for your Christmas cards. You can even disperse these lists amongst your family to get the tasks done quicker. For example, someone can oversee the grocery list for holiday meals, while someone else can make sure the Christmas cards are mailed on time.
TIP: When making your shopping list, think of the most efficient route to the locations you need to stop at, so you don’t have to drive back and forth between stores. Save time and money because gas is pricey!
RELATED POST: 6 Reasons Why You Need to Use a To-Do List
2) Inventory Check Before you finalize your lists, take a look around the house and see what items you already have and what you can reuse. Double check the pantry to prevent buying extra items you don’t need for your holiday recipes or go through your crafts and see if there are any Christmas cards, ribbons, or gift bags you can reuse this year. The last thing anyone needs during the holidays is to bring in extra clutter. Doing an inventory check not only saves money but encourages us to reuse what we can.
3) Practical Last-Minute Gifts The holidays can be unpredictable, which is why it’s a great idea to have a few practical last-minute gifts handy. This can be as simple as picking up a few extra boxes of chocolates/cookies at the grocery store, or a $5 gift card from a local coffee shop so your guest can enjoy a cup of hot chocolate or coffee. Having these extra gifts around ensures you won’t have to do any last-minute shopping during the holidays.
TIP: Rather than buying gift bags this year, consider using reusable grocery or tote bags. It’s an eco-friendly choice that the recipient can use for many years to come!
RELATED POST: 4 Sustainable Gift Wrap Alternatives for the Holidays
4) Clean as You Go The clutter that accumulates during the holidays and afterwards can be overwhelming, which is why it’s a great idea to clean as you go. Simple steps such as putting wrapping paper, greeting cards, and craft supplies back in storage when you’re done with them makes a huge difference. In the event you need them again, you know exactly where to find them. For extra clutter sitting around, consider creating piles for trash, recycling, and donation. This makes clean up a breeze by the time the holidays are over.
RELATED POST: 10 Quick and Easy Ways to Declutter
5) Storage System I highly recommend having a storage system in place for your Christmas supplies and decorations. Not only is it helpful during the holidays, but your future self will thank you! By this time next year, you won’t have to worry about untangling Christmas lights, going through mismatched ornaments, and spending your time looking for a specific piece of décor because it was poorly stored the year before. It’s amazing what a few storage bins and labels will do!
TIP: Keep your holiday cards, envelopes, pens, stamps, and similar accessories together. Come next year, you’ll be able to easily locate everything you need to write and send out your greeting cards!
I hope these tips will help you stay organized this holiday season, so you can spend more time with your loved ones. Do you have any tips you’d like to share? I’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments! For more holiday posts, visit my tag here.