Family Day is a public holiday in Canada. This year, it falls on Monday, February 21st. It’s a day to rejoice and spend time with your loved ones. Many Canadians take this opportunity to rest and spend time at home, while others use this time to go sight-seeing and spend time outdoors. If you’re looking for some ideas, I’ve included both indoor and outdoor activities the whole family can enjoy. Here are 6 exciting things to do this Family Day long weekend.
1) Spring Cleaning Is there a room you’ve been meaning to clean out? Is there a space you’d like to transform into a functional one? Get the family together and make this holiday a productive one. Cleaning can be a lot of fun if you make it so! Play your favorite music and come up with a reward you can all enjoy afterwards, such as ordering pizza! If you’re competitive, you can set a time limit and see who can clean the fastest. Cleaning with company is great, you may discover some hidden gems you’d thought you’d lost along the way!
2) Play Games Online Nothing brings the family together like playing games. We often share the most laughs and make the best memories when doing so. If you plan on staying in, I highly recommend visiting Solitaire.org. The games on this website load quickly, includes helpful information on how to play, and offers free fun for the entire family. Solitaire.org focuses on more than just card games, they also have mah-jong, hidden object, matching, logic puzzles, and word games. Although if you love card games, you’ve come to the right place as they have a ton to choose from!
My favorite game is Hidden Objects. You can choose from 8 different styles including the Medieval Castle, Pirates and Treasures, Circus Adventure, and more. My favorite styles are The Palace Hotel and Garden Secrets. I love playing this with family members because as the game gets harder with each level, you have an extra set of eyes! This game also offers a nostalgic feel as it reminds me of my childhood love for iSpy books. I also love Candy House. It’s a game inspired by Candy Crush. There are 50 levels to beat and it’s a relaxing game I love playing before bed.
3) Have a Barbeque Enjoy the outdoors without leaving the comfort of your home by having a backyard barbeque. You can assign everyone a task, such as grilling, making deserts, making drinks, and setting up the table. If the weather doesn’t call for an outdoor barbeque, consider an indoor one! I recently purchased an indoor grill and used it for the first time this week. It was easy to use, smokeless, and the food tasted delicious!
4) Go on a Road Trip Take advantage of the warmer weather by going on a memorable road trip with your loved ones. Nothing beats the beautiful scenery, exciting stops, and iconic landmarks. Create a playlist filled with your favorite songs, stock up on snacks, and enjoy the adventure. Road trips offer a change in scenery, shopping, indulging in delicious foods, enjoying the outdoors, and exercise!
5) Movie Night Out Treat yourself and your family to a night out at the movie theater. Enjoy some time outside of your home and indulge in some delicious movie snacks. I went to see Scream a few weeks ago and it brought back a sense of normalcy. Some great family friendly films that are in theatres include Spider-Man: No Way Home, Sing 2, and Encanto.
6) Explore Your City How much of your city have you seen and experienced? We’re often too busy with our professional and personal lives that we miss out on what our city has to offer. Consider exploring your city on foot this Family Day. Breathe in the fresh air and get some exercise. If you love art and history, check to see if the museums and galleries are open. They are always new exhibitions to experience. I guarantee that you and your family will discover a brand-new restaurant, bakery, or cute local shop along the way!
No matter what your plans may be for this Family Day long weekend, I hope it’s filled with love! Do you have any traditions? Are there any activities you’re looking forward to? I’d love to know! For more posts relating to travel and activities, visit my tag here!