Being surrounded by clutter can affect your physical and mental health. People who live in cluttered spaces often feel increased levels of stress and suffer from allergies due to the accumulation of dust and mold particles. The idea of decluttering may seem overwhelming, because we often get ahead of ourselves. While it’s great to envision the outcome, it’s important to stay present and start small.
Keeping your space clean, tidy, and free from clutter, will not only improve focus, but you’ll have more time for things that matter. You’ll be able to find things quickly without rummaging and even re-evaluating future purchases, which will help you save money. Here’s a simple list to help you get started.
10 Quick and Easy Ways to Declutter
1) Set aside anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour to work on a single area.
2) Focus on one area to declutter. This can range from small jobs like a single drawer to bigger jobs like a closet.
Your home is a living space, not a storage space.francine jay.
3) Listen to an upbeat playlist or to your favorite podcast while cleaning. Decluttering doesn’t have to feel like a chore, enjoy yourself while you’re doing it.
4) Visualize the outcome. What do you want your space to look like? How can you make it more functional? For inspiration, you can refer to websites like Pinterest.
Clutter is a manifestation of a) holding onto the past and b) fear of what might happen in the future.leo babauta.
5) If you haven’t touched an item within 1-2 years, get rid of it!
6) Stay organized by creating piles for items you wish to keep, recycle, give away to friends and family, sell, or donate.
Clutter is the physical reflection of a disorganized mind.joshua becker.
7) Before you think of purchasing storage bins or containers, look around for old cardboard boxes, gift boxes, or even shoe boxes. Save money by using what you already have.
8) For papers and documents that don’t require the physical copy to be saved, consider scanning and storing them on your computer and encrypting it.
Decluttering is infinitely easier when you think of it as deciding what to keep, rather than deciding what to throw away.francine jay.
9) Shred and recycle old paperwork such as bills, receipts, and junk mail.
10) Speaking of junk mail, there is a way to opt out. Visit your post office’s website for more details. In my city, a simple sticker inside the mailbox stating “no advertising mail” does the trick.
Decluttering may seem like an overwhelming task, but it can be tackled with just a few simple steps. I hope these 10 easy tips inspire you to spend a few minutes decluttering your space today. For more productivity posts, visit my tag here. Do you have any decluttering tips of your own? Share your thoughts below!