We can all relate to setting goals and abandoning them at some point in our lives. I recall creating long New Year’s resolutions lists filled with unrealistic goals. Whenever I didn’t achieve these goals, it would leave me feeling discouraged. After repeating this process for many years, I stopped with resolutions all together. As I started to uncover why I was “unable” to achieve my goals, I realized that it was my system and approach needed to change.
Without goals, we lack focus, direction, and purpose. Setting a goal is the first step in creating better habits to live a better life. Whether you’d like to start a new career, bring in more money, focus on personal development, it all starts with a goal. Once your goal is set, it is now time to put in the work. Here are 6 things I’ve learned with goal setting that will help you achieve your goals in 2022.
1) Set realistic goals. I understand the excitement when it comes to creating new goals. We often choose to set the bar high. We can strive to challenge ourselves, however when you are aiming too high to start, it can be unrealistic to meet your goals. For example, if you want to incorporate exercise into your routine and haven’t been active in a while, don’t start with regular or high intensity workouts for 30 minutes per day. Instead, start with low impact workouts for 5-10 minutes per day. As you start to work on your physical health daily and find that you can endure more than 10 minutes, switch it up to 15 minutes, 20 minutes, and so on. By doing this, you are challenging and pushing yourself the right way.
2) Take small steps. Much like setting realistic goals, taking small steps is crucial to achieving your goals. Think of it as climbing a mountain. Each step you take gets you closer to the top. You can try to take big leaps along the way or find shortcuts, but you risk falling and having to start your journey all over again from the bottom. Take small steps and enjoy your journey along the way.
3) Keep track of your progress. When you keep track of your progress, you can physically see how far you’ve come in reaching your goals. You can choose to keep track on your phone or physically in a journal. This is a helpful tool that also helps you to identify what areas you can improve on.
4) Celebrate your wins. Each day you spend working on your goals is an achievement to be celebrated. In reference to climbing the mountain example, each step is considered a win and should be celebrated. It may seem small, but those small steps are what granted you the beautiful view from the top of the mountain.
5) Support. If you have loved ones who share similar goals, you can choose to work together! Having that extra support can keep you motivated and on track. Going back to the exercise example, you can each create a Spotify workout playlist that’s 5 – 10 minutes long, share your favorite workout videos, and even exercise together through Zoom.
6) Rest. Whether your goals are physical, mental, or spiritual, it all takes a lot of time, energy, and effort. Make sure you are allowing yourself to get some rest and prioritize self-care. If you need to take a break for a day or two, allow yourself to do so. Always listen to your body.
I believe in every single one of you. You can achieve anything you put your mind to as long as you have a good system in place. I hope these 6 tips were insightful and can be applied towards your goals for this year. What are some tips you have for achieving your goals this year? Is there anything specific that you’ve discovered that has helped you along the way? Share your thoughts below. For more posts on productivity, visit the tag here.