Sustainability and affordability are at the forefront of our minds, and with fall coming up it’s our chance to choose fun activities that align. There are a variety of options that can provide both an enjoyable and affordable experience for individuals and families alike. Let’s create lasting memories while reducing our carbon footprint this fall.
1) Farmers Market Bring your own reusable bags and visit your local farmers’ market. Have a budget in mind while indulging in fresh fruits, vegetables, pastries, and more. Not only are you supporting local small businesses, families, and artists, but you also have the opportunity to learn more about sustainable farming, seasonal produce, and connect with your community.
2) Go Thrifting Update your fall wardrobe and bring home cozy fall décor by visiting your local thrift store. Thrifting is a great way to enjoy the fall season because you can uncover high quality items at a fraction of the price. Save big on high-quality popular fall items such as cashmere, wool, and organic cotton. It’s a great activity that saves you money and benefits the planet.
3) Enjoy the Outdoors Embrace the fall season by going on nature hikes or bike rides in nearby parks or trails. Immerse yourself in the breathtaking colors of autumn while getting some exercise and enjoying the fresh air. It’s a great time to foster a deeper connection with the environment. You can even consider plogging and help keep the trails clean.
4) DIY Home Décor Engage in DIY crafts using natural materials found during your fall walks such as pinecones and leaves. Create beautiful decorations for your home or make handmade gifts for loved ones. Save money and reduce waste by repurposing these natural treasures.
5) Visit the Library Libraries offer an abundance of resources including magazines, books, movies, and they even host events and workshops. It’s an excellent way to spend a cozy fall afternoon while enjoying some quality time with a good book, scary movie, or participating in community activities.
6) DIY Fall Drinks For those who enjoy staying in during the fall season, why not try making popular drinks at home? With countless of recipes available online for pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider cocktails, and cranberry teas, you can recreate your favorite autumnal beverages without breaking the bank or contributing to excessive waste from single-use plastics.
7) Donate As you transition your wardrobe for the cooler months ahead, consider donating gently used clothing items to your local charities. This can include shoes, jackets, sweaters, blankets, and more. Not only will this help someone in need, but it also promotes recycling and reduces textile waste.
It’s easy to embrace sustainable activities while still enjoying all that this beautiful season has to offer. Let’s instill the important values of sustainability and environmental consciousness for future generations to come. Allow this season to be an opportunity to connect with nature responsibly. What’s your favorite sustainable fall activity?
RELATED POST: 4 Easy DIY Fall Home Decor: Zero Waste Edition