As the holiday season approaches, it’s the perfect time to remind ourselves to celebrate in a sustainable manner. From single use plastics for holiday parties to unrecyclable wrapping paper and tape, our household waste can increase by more than 25%.
The statistics surrounding the amount of waste generated from a single holiday is staggering, but there are small changes we can make this holiday season to celebrate in a more sustainable way. I’ve compiled a list of previous posts that will help you easily make eco-friendly choices this holiday season and keep the tradition going for years to come!
My Holiday Tips
Holiday Stats from Zero Waste Canada
• Only 1% of items bought during the Christmas season is used within 6 months, while the other 99% has already been discarded.
• Each year in Canada, 545,000 tonnes of waste is generated from gift-wrapping and shopping bags alone.
Posts Worth Reading
• Zero Waste Christmas by Zero Waste Canada. This helpful guide aims to give you a new perspective on the holidays, while helping you reduce waste this Christmas.
• What is the Environmental Impact of Christmas? by Energym. This article sheds a light on excess food waste from the holidays, wrapping paper, Christmas cards, and more.
• Top Tips for a Sustainable Christmas by WWF. Learn about ways you can reduce your global impact when it comes to gift giving, food, decorations, and more.
Sustainable Holiday Ideas
• If physical cards don’t hold a sentimental value for you, save your money and make a phone call, video chat, and or send an e-greeting instead. You can even record your own personal video greeting and send them to friends and family.
• Reuse gift baskets and gift bags whenever possible. If you don’t have any, buy a reusable bag instead. That way the receiver can reuse it for groceries and shopping.
• If you’re hosting a holiday party, encourage your guests to bring glass containers so they may bring home leftovers at the end of the night to reduce food waste.
I hope this post inspires you to make small yet impactful changes this holiday season. Not only are these changes great for our planet, but they’re great for our wallets too! Have you taken any steps to be more environmentally friendly this holiday season? I’d love to hear your thoughts. For more posts relating to this, visit my tag here.
RELATED POST: Plastic Free July: Small Ways to Make Big Changes