The holiday season is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start shopping. As prices continue to soar, many shoppers are expecting to spend more than ever before. According to a report from PayPal’s Honey, consumers will face higher costs this year, as electronics and toys are up 11% and jewelry by 31%.
Luckily, we can strategically find ways to check off our list while securing the best deals possible. Let’s explore some simple ways to help you navigate the holiday shopping frenzy and score those unbeatable deals that’ll make everyone feel like a winner.
1) Be Specific If you want to get the best deals this holiday season, you’ll have to be specific and create a list. Sticking with a list allows you to set a realistic budget, save money, and start hunting for deals. This list should also include ‘emergency gifts’ to keep on hand for surprise guests.
2) Price Match Now that you have your list, it’s time to start browsing online to see which retailers offer the lowest prices. I recommend shopping from retailers that offer price matching and price adjustments. This ensures that you’re getting the best deal, either by paying the lowest advertised price, or being able to get a price adjustment if the item goes on sale within a certain amount of time afterwards.
3) Cash Back Programs Earn 1-12% cash back on your holiday purchases from over 750 retailers using Rakuten. Rakuten helps you find the latest deals and provides additional coupon codes that you can apply to checkout when available. Read more about how you can get cash back and an additional $30 bonus when you shop this holiday season.
4) Newsletters An easy way to save money on your online purchases is by signing up for newsletters. Companies typically offer anywhere from 10-15% off a certain amount just by signing up and you can unsubscribe at any time. I recommend checking Rakuten for additional promo codes and see if you can stack your coupons. Retailers such as Old Navy, Gap, and Abercrombie are known to allow customers to use multiple promo codes upon checkout.
Most shoppers—84%, according to a September survey by Bankrate—are making a more concerted effort to save money during their holiday shopping in this shaky economy ravaged by rising inflation. And 41% are specifically seeking out sales, coupons, and other deals to reduce their spending.Wirecutter.
5) Reap Rewards If you currently have a credit card that offers cash back, points, or rewards, consider using it for your holiday shopping. On top of looking for great deals and using Rakuten, you’ll be able to redeem rewards for future purchases or even trips!
6) Additional Discounts Did you know that certain retailers offer additional discounts to students, teachers, military personnels, veterans, and seniors? If any of these categories apply to you, it’s worth looking into as they typically offer at least 10% off purchases. For students, check out SPC Card and UNiDAYS. For seniors, check out Shoppers Drug Mart Seniors’ Day where they offer 20% off every Thursday.
7) Say No to Holiday Themes A trend that I’ve noticed over the years is that companies will re-package their products using a holiday theme and sell it for more money, even though the product itself is unchanged. Keep your eye out for this especially when it comes to skincare and makeup products. As beautiful as the Christmas packaging may be, stick with the original if it’ll save you money.
As you gear up for this year’s holiday shopping, remember that finding the best deals requires a combination of strategy, research, and patience. By creating a specific list, utilizing cash back programs, and taking advantage of price matching policies, you’ll be well on your way to securing the best deals. How do you get the best deals during the holidays? I’d love to know! For more posts relating to the holidays, visit my tag here.
RELATED POST: Get Cash Back When You Shop This Black Friday